Latest articles

The GuardianWar & ConflictIslamic World
Israel admits its soldiers opened fire at car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab | First Thing

Israel admits its soldiers opened fire at car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab | First Thing

Israeli military orders criminal investigation into deaths of Hind and six family members. Plus, FCC chair Brendan Carr’s close coordination with White House revealedGood morning.The Israeli military its troops had opened fire on a car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in Gaza in 2024, saying it had ordered a criminal investigation into the killing.What prompted the investigation? The Israel Defense Forces repeatedly denied its troops had been in the area, but investigations by the media and others found evidence that strongly suggested nearby Israeli tanks were responsible.How significant is it? The IDF published reviews on Wednesday into five high-profile incidents in Gaza. But criminal misconduct investigations into Israeli troops over the killing of Palestinians rarely lead to convictions. published in February described “a pervasive climate of impunity” by Israel in occupied Palestine.What is the wider context? In September last year, that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza, citing tens of thousands of civilian deaths and massive destruction.What did Béjar say in his testimony? That his job often included him briefing Meta’s chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg, on product issues. He estimated that he spoke to Zuckerberg at least 100 times. One email Béjar sent to Zuckerberg in 2021 showed the engineer warning of constant reports of harmful content and damage to teenage wellbeing on Facebook and Instagram. Béjar said he emailed Zuckerberg after the chief executive publicly said the company did not prioritize profit over safety. Meta denies all allegations in the case.

1d ago
The GuardianScandalUSA
First Thing: Meta’s treatment of children on social media in spotlight as landmark trial set to begin

First Thing: Meta’s treatment of children on social media in spotlight as landmark trial set to begin

Several US states have accused Instagram and Facebook’s parent company of deliberately causing young people harm with its products. Plus: the Italian nuns fighting to keep control of their spot in the sunGood morning. More than half of the states in the US have that goes to trial on Tuesday, accusing the parent company of Instagram and Facebook of deliberately designing addictive products that lured in young people and caused them harm.The sweeping legal proceedings could have profound consequences for the company. The attorneys general say that if Meta is found liable, damages could be as high as $200bn – equivalent to the company’s 2025 annual revenue. The lawmakers are also asking that Meta be compelled to change the design of its products to make them safer for children, which may have longer-term effects than a fine.What is Meta accused of? The 233-page lawsuit, first filed in October 2023, alleges that Meta regularly collects data on children under the age of 13 without parental permission. The lawmakers claim in court documents that Meta “refuses to abandon its use of known harmful features” and that its motives are based solely on profit.How has Meta responded? Meta denies all allegations and says: “Rather than sticking to the facts or the law, the states have instead decided to chase an outlandish payout. The state AGs may call this a landmark case, but their limited claims are unsubstantiated and their financial demands are vastly disproportionate.”Why have conditions on board the ship become contentious? The Lincoln, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier left port from San Diego on 21 November 2025 and has now set a modern record for the longest time at sea without a port call. It has been more than 250 days since it has touched land.What else is causing concern with US navy ships? A US guided-missile destroyer in the South China Sea in July. The USS Benfold was reported to have been towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines.

3d ago
The GuardianAIUSA
Would even an AI disaster on the scale of Hiroshima be enough to make humankind protect itself? I fear not | Timothy Garton Ash

Would even an AI disaster on the scale of Hiroshima be enough to make humankind protect itself? I fear not | Timothy Garton Ash

It’s clear here in Silicon Valley that AI is advancing faster than humans’ ability to control it. That means even sober prophecies seem optimisticHere in Silicon Valley, the experts think that within the next couple of years we’ll see an extraordinary takeoff for artificial intelligence. “Welcome to the foothills of the singularity,” as a Stanford University friend greeted me. More prosaically, the imminent breakthrough is described as “recursive self-improvement” – the point at which AI itself trains each successive model of AI, resulting in an exponential development to something which, in many significant respects, is more intelligent than us humans.As Robert Wright puts it in his book : “Never before has the near-term future … held such a wide array of not-implausible paths for humankind that would be so wildly transformative.” But will this be heaven or hell? Heaven, says Elon Musk, who “an age of amazing abundance” – although he also sees a 10-20% chance of killer robots murdering us all. Hell is more likely according to , one of the intellectual founding fathers of AI. “My intuition is, we’re toast,” he told an interviewer in 2023. And talking to , author of The Infinity Machine, a book about the quest for superintelligence, Hinton estimates p(doom) – the probability of human extinction – at 50%, “because I haven’t got a clue how to estimate the real number”. “As soon as evolution [of AI] kicks in, we’re fucked,” he adds cheerfully. But whether it’s God or Godzilla, artificial superintelligence is just around the corner.Timothy Garton Ash is a Guardian columnist

1h ago
The GuardianWar & ConflictEurope
Ukraine war briefing: Zelenskyy vows response to Russia’s deadly shopping centre attack

Ukraine war briefing: Zelenskyy vows response to Russia’s deadly shopping centre attack

Ukrainian president calls strikes on home town Kryvyi Rih an ‘absolute Russian atrocity’ and says world must ‘not remain silent’. What we know on day 1,641Volodymyr Zelenskyy has vowed to hit back at Russia after its deadly attack on a shopping centre in central Ukraine. At least 16 people were killed and more than 130 wounded, authorities said, when drones on in Kryvyi Rih in what the Ukrainian president called a “cynical and despicable” attack on Friday. In an evening , Zelenskyy said of the strikes in his home town: “An absolute Russian atrocity. They’re just monsters. We will definitely respond.” He added: “It is important that we have everything to protect life. It is important that the world does not remain silent about all this. There must be an end to this Russian war – and we need the world to help us make that happen.” The EU’s foreign policy chief, Kaja Kallas, condemned the attack as “terror by design” and threatened “the most far-reaching Russia sanctions listings since the start of the war”. Four more people, including three minors, were killed in another strike in the southern Mykolaiv region on Friday, said the interior minister, Ivan Vygivsky.Russian strikes on Ukraine killed at least two people early on Saturday, local authorities said. The Kyiv city military administration reported a fire in a warehouse in the capital’s Darnytskyi district after issuing an alert for a ballistic missile. One person died and several were injured, it said, citing preliminary information. In the southern city of Zaporizhzhia, a Russian drone killed a man and wounded four people, according to the regional military administration’s chief, Ivan Fedorov.Countries allied with Ukraine are to meet on Monday to reaffirm support for Kyiv in the war, at talks held on Ukraine’s independence day. The meeting of the so-called Coalition of the Willing will be co-chaired by the French president, Emmanuel Macron, the UK prime minister, Andy Burnham, and the German chancellor, Friedrich Merz. About 10 leaders including the European Council chief, António Costa, will be in Kyiv for the meeting, according to an EU official. Zelenskyy urged a strong response from Ukraine’s allies after Russia’s shopping centre attack, saying: “The world must respond to them accordingly – with real pressure on the aggressor. For peace to be possible, Russia must face real accountability.”Germany is seeking to extradite a suspect from Romania over the discovery of an underground stash of weapons in a forest near Berlin that German media reports have linked to Russian intelligence, . Two weeks after German authorities found a drone carrying explosives at Leipzig airport, the interior minister confirmed federal prosecutors had opened an investigation related to the secret cache of guns “on suspicion of preparing a serious act of violence that threatens national security”. “This case demonstrates that ‌we are operating under a high threat level,” Alexander Dobrindt told reporters.Ukraine has sanctioned Russian hit children’s cartoon Masha and the Bear and its producers in a step towards banning the series, the Ukrainian culture minister said on Friday, slamming it as a Russian “propaganda” tool. The cartoon about a little girl and a retired circus bear has been viewed tens of billions of times on YouTube alone and broadcast in about 100 countries but has faced criticism in Ukraine and among its allies, including the UK and Estonia, as painting Russia in a positive light. The Kremlin has laughed off the allegations.

2h ago